- Mostly clear
CINCINNATI - Emily Begley
Pride Week is here, celebrating 40 years of Cincinnati Pride. This year's Pride Parade encourages participants to use the organization's anniversary as a theme for their floats. Those that do will earn automatic entry into a float contest, giving them a shot at a trophy and free 2014 parade entry.
The parade is just the beginning; the Pride Festival keeps the party going with music from headliner Debbie Gibson, local acts Jonathan Zeng and Penny Tration and more. Same-sex and straight couples 18 and older can publicly pledge their commitment to one another at the Commitment and Recommitment Ceremony ($25 per couple in advance, $35 per couple at Pride), followed by cake and champagne.
The night comes to a close with the first-ever Pride Fireworks presented by Proctor & Gamble.
The parade begins at 2 p.m. Saturday, June 29 at Seventh and Culvert streets downtown and ends at Sawyer Point where the festival beings at 3 p.m.
The parade begins at Seventh and Culvert streets at 2 p.m. and ends at Sawyer Point where the Pride Festival kicks off at 3 p.m.
The following downtown streets will be closed during the parade from approximately 1:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.:
- Seventh Street: Closed between Broadway and Culvert Street (closes at 12 p.m. for staging)
- Culvert Street: Closed between Reedy Street and Sentinel Street (closes at 12 p.m. for staging)
- Seventh Street: Closed between Race Street and Broadway
- Vine Street: Closed between Fourth Street and Eighth Street
- Fifth Street: Closed between Race Street and Main Street
- Walnut Street: Closed between Fifth Street and Freedom Way
- Freedom Way: Closed between Rosa Parks Street and Joe Nuxhall Way
- Joe Nuxhall Way: Closed between Second Street and Mehring Way
- Mehring Way: Closed between Elm Street and E Pete Rose Way
- Johnny Bench Way: Closed
- E. Pete Rose Way: Closed between Broadway and Johnny Bench Way
For more information on the Pride Festival and parade visit cincinnatipride.org/parade .
WCPO Digital contributed to this story.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.