Adam Jones speaks to 9 News about new charges

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Adam Jones walked out of the Hamilton County Jail Sunday morning after spending almost eight hours behind bars following charges of disorderly conduct while intoxicated and resisting arrest.

Jones told 9 News upon his release from jail that he doesn't know why he was charged. 

"I hadn't been drinking. I was with my wife. It was her birthday. It don't make no sense," said Jones. "There is no reason why I should have got locked up. No reason."

Court records state Jones was asked repeatedly to calm down while inside a bar called "Scene Ultra Lounge" located at 639 Walnut Street and needed to be escorted out. While outside the bar, Jones shouted profanities and moved around waving his arms violently according to court documents. While attempting to put him in handcuffs, police said Jones tightened his arms and pulled away. He had to be restrained by two officers according to the court records.

Jones was wearing a neck brace that he said was from a recent surgery following an injury sustained in a game last October.

"Didn't resist arrest. I'm in a neck brace. How am I resisting arrest?" said Jones. "I just had surgery. So why would I be resisting arrest? It doesn't make sense for me to resist arrest."

Jones had a brief encounter with Cincinnati police in October 2010 when he was detained after swerving to avoid an oncoming car after a home football game and ended up on the sidewalk. They detained him after a dispatcher reported there was a warrant out for his arrest. It was a different Adam Jones.

Adam Jones has had a long history of scrapes with the law since being drafted out of West Virginia University by the Tennessee Titans in 2005. A series of arrests in 2006 and 2007 led to Jones being suspended from the NFL in 2008. He returned in 2009 with the Dallas Cowboys. He was released after that season when he was identified as a suspect in a 2007 Las Vegas shooting. He was never charged in the incident.

Jones signed with the Bengals in February of 2010 and coaches believed he had turned a corner and was making progress before being injured in a game in late October.

On Sunday morning he offered an apology to the fans.

"The only thing I can do is apologize but it's at the point now where I'm going to take this to another step. It's ridiculous because like...the only thing I can do is be me and do what I'm supposed to do... but I was not yelling at the police. I did not yell profanities at the police and at the end of the day I'm the one who's, I'm the bad guy," Jones said.

Jones will be arraigned on the two misdemeanor charges on Monday afternoon.

Print this article Back to Top