Eugene Gall, now 67, was sentenced to death by the state of Kentucky in the murder of a 12-year-old Cincinnati girl, Lisa Jansen.
In 1979, Eugene Gall pleaded guilty to killing 14-year-old Beth Ann Mote. But Gall’s guilty plea 34 years ago wasn’t the end of his story: Now, at age 67, he will be considered for parole.
CINCINNATI -- In 1979, Eugene Gall pleaded guilty to killing 14-year-old Beth Ann Mote.
Two years prior, the Oakwood, Ohio girl was walking to school when Gall pretended to stop and ask her for directions. In the next six months, Gall would abduct and rape at least four more girls in Dayton, Beavercreek and Cincinnati.
But Gall’s guilty plea 34 years ago wasn’t the end of his story: Now, at age 67, he will be considered for parole.
When Gall was convicted in 1979, he was already on death row in Kentucky. He had taken 12-year-old Lisa Jansen off the streets of her Columbia Township neighborhood and drove her to Kentucky where she was raped and shot to death.
However, a federal appeals court tossed out the Kentucky conviction, saying prosecutors failed to prove key elements of the case. The appeals court also said a prohibition against double jeopardy forbade a retrial. Rather than have Gall involuntarily and indefinitely committed in a civil proceeding, Kentucky turned Gall over to the Lebanon Correctional Institute in 2001 to serve a life sentence in Ohio for rape and murder in multiple other attacks on young girls.
Authorities in Ohio gave Gall credit for time served out-of-state, which is why this Monday, he will be considered for parole eight years earlier than anyone expected.
"No, I never expected him to be eligible for parole," Doris Mote, mother of the murdered Oakwood girl, told WCPO news partner WHIO. "He needs to stay in jail for public safety."
Mote traveled from out of state last week to plead with the Ohio Parole Board to keep her daughter's killer behind bars. WHIO reports she has support from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine and from Montgomery County prosecutors who handled the Mote case.
"The only thing I can tell you is, I would hope that his chances are nil to none," Montgomery County Prosecutor Mathias Heck Jr. told WHIO.
Linda Tally Smith, the current Commonwealth's Attorney in Boone County where Gall was convicted, recalled thinking of him as "the monster under the bed."
Authorities believe the Gall they know today is the same man who went on his rampage of rape and murder over three decades ago.
"He has said before that he feels that he will be impulsive and kill again and that needs to be considered by the Parole Board when they take this into consideration that he should not be released," Assistant Prosecutor Mary Montgomery told WHIO.
Prosecutors expect a decision on Gall’s parole about two weeks after he goes before the board Monday.
WHIO obtained a letter DeWine sent to the Parole Authority on Tuesday, strongly opposing any consideration of parole for Gall.
In the letter DeWine said, "He has taken at least two lives that we know of and preyed on countless innocent children. If released I have no doubt that he will revert to these unspeakable ways again."
To read the full story from WHIO, CLICK HERE.