CINCINNATI – A rash of burglaries around the University of Cincinnati’s Uptown campus has university police on high alert this holiday season. Police, in turn, are asking college residents to take precautions to protect their belongings.
The majority of break-ins are occurring Thursday through Sunday between the hours of 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and then in the evening between 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., according to campus police.
What’s increasing the number of these burglaries, police suggest, is that a number of residences are unlocked at the time of the offense. Also, most entries are being made through rear windows and side doors.
The department offered these burglary prevention tips:
- Lock your doors and windows when you leave, even if it is only for a short time.
- Install good quality deadbolt locks on doors. If you rent, talk to your landlord.
- Use timers to control lights so your house looks lived in at night.
- Leave a radio on when you are gone.
- Keep bushes and trees trimmed back to reduce hiding places.
- Don’t leave ladders or other items out where they can be used to gain entry.
- Have a lockable security container for laptops, jewelry, and other small valuables.
- Keep a complete inventory of valuable items, including model and serial numbers.
Police also state many of the burglaries are committed by juvenile offenders who can reach and climb through openings residents might not consider.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
The cost of hiring the best university presidents and other leaders has far outpaced inflation in a time of tight budgets while faculty and…
Looking to keep its fiscal house in order, University of Cincinnati is hiking tuition by 2 percent across the board while cutting vacation…
Reports submitted by University of Cincinnati police officers show how unruly college students turned a party into what one Hamilton County…
Three people were taken into custody after a party involving hundreds of UC students got out of hand early Sunday morning.
A University of Cincinnati student faces serious charges after he fled from a routine traffic stop, according to Cincinnati police.
Members of University of Cincinnati's faculty union have overwhelmingly approved the contract hammered out after protracted negotiations.
University of Cincinnati has hired a team of five "ambassadors" to patrol the Short Vine and U Square districts near campus as part…
University of Cincinnati researcher and professor heads to eastern Ohio with cutting-edge tools and a public health mission.
At least four University of Cincinnati students have been robbed in the past 24 hours.
A gunman is at large after a series of robberies near the University of Cincinnati late Tuesday night.