One year later, still no arrests in fatal Miami Township shooting

MIAMI TOWNSHIP, Ohio -- After more than a year of investigation, police still have no suspects in the shooting death of a Miami Township man.

Paul Leiter, 65, was shot to death at about 8 p.m. Feb. 11, 2013 at his home at 419 Pinebluff Drive.

Investigators said someone standing outside the rear of his home shot Leiter through a rear window.

Officials said detectives and crime scene technicians from the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation were at the scene for 33 hours collecting evidence.

RELATED:
Police identify Miami Twp. man shot to death in his Pinebluff Drive home

“We’ve worked with a number of criminal justice agencies to help us with the investigation. We want to be careful not to rush the investigation and to make certain that we’re being as thorough as we can,” Sgt. Al Fatute, who is leading the investigation, said in a release.

At first, police said they focused on people who Leiter’s wife, Ann Abele, had investigated. Officers said Leiter’s wife is a compliance specialist with the Ohio Board of Pharmacy.

“There was some concern that this shooting may have been related to her employment so it was necessary that we interview and verify the activities before, during and after the shooting of those who she had investigated,” Fatute said. “It was a painstaking process and we’ve seen no evidence to suggest that this shooting had anything to do with her employment.”

During the course of the investigation, police said they searched the home of Michael Krusling near Bethel. Krusling had been investigated by Abele years earlier. Krusling passed away soon after the warrant was executed, leading to speculation that he was involved in Leiter’s death.

However, police said that was not the case.

“This sparked a flurry of rumor and even some media coverage leading many to believe that the police had confirmed Mr. Krusling as the shooter and were no longer actively investigating this case,” Fatute said. “That information is completely false and although we did investigate Mr. Krusling’s activities just as we did with many others, our investigation has concluded that Mr. Krusling was not the shooter and is no longer even a person of interest in this case.”

The family has offered a $2,500 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter but police said they have received no tips through Crime Stoppers to date.

“We would very much like to hear from anyone who may have information that can help us,” Fatute said. “In other cases we’ve investigated we’ve found that people sometimes have information that they don’t think is significant, so they withhold it.  In some cases, that information can be the key link to solving a crime.”

Police said they have no reason for anyone in the neighborhood to worry for their safety. Detectives said they believe the shooting was an intentional act.

No other details have been released.

Anyone with information is asked to call Miami Township Police at 513-248-3721 or CrimeStoppers at 888-352-3040. You can also text “CINTIP PLUS YOUR TIP” to CRIMES 274637.

Print this article Back to Top