Streetcar work resumed with the delivery of 80-foot rails near Elm and Henry Streets after a three-week hiatus on Thursday, Dec. 26, 2013.
Several daytime and overnight road closures are scheduled to take place at various times over the next few weeks for extensive underground utility work associated with the Cincinnati Streetcar.
CINCINNATI – Several daytime and overnight road closures are scheduled to take place at various times over the next few weeks for extensive underground utility work associated with the Cincinnati Streetcar.
The closures in downtown and Over-the-Rhine are focused north and south between Eighth and Third streets, and east and west from Main to Walnut streets.
Some other streets are involved.
Daytime Closures for Sewer Lining Work: May 19-23
Deatrick said the same crew has been hired to complete all the installations because it makes the most sense financially.
Areas That Will Be Affected
1. Green Street in Over-the-Rhine will be closed between Race and Pleasant streets from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday, May 19, and again from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday, May 20. Parking will not be allowed in this block of Green Street while the work is taking place.
Also, Race Street will be reduced to one southbound lane, as needed, to make way for additional equipment.
2. The two north lanes of Third Street at Walnut Street and the two east lanes of Walnut will be closed from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Wednesday, May 21. The remaining two lanes on both Third and Walnut will be open.
3. The north lane of Eighth between Sycamore and Main streets and the west lane of Main at Eighth Street will be closed from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. Thursday, May 22, and again from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 23.
A police officer will direct traffic at the intersection throughout the day, including the morning and evening rush hours while crews work.
Overnight closures for Water Main Tie-in Work: May 18-23 & May 27-31
Given the scale and scope of the water main tie-in projects, Deatrick explained why some of the work needs to be done overnight.
“The contractor must shut off water service to perform a tie-in between an existing main and a new main,” he said. “Each tie-in must be started and finished in one shift in order to restore water service as quickly as possible. The work is being done overnight to minimize the disruption to customers.”
4. Walnut Street between Fourth and Fifth streets will be closed overnight from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following day, starting Sunday, May 18 through Friday, May 23.
It will start again on the evening of Tuesday, May 27 through Saturday, May 31.
Please be advised that westbound Fourth Street traffic will be limited to a left turn only at the Walnut Street intersection.
5. Westbound Court Street will be closed nightly between Walnut and Main streets from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. the following day, starting Sunday, May 18, through Tuesday, May 20.
Detour signs will be posted. Two lanes on Walnut, as well as pedestrian and local access, will be maintained.
In addition, motorists should allow extra time when traveling in areas with construction or consider alternative routes to their intended destination. Bus riders should visit www.go-metro.com for updated route information.
The map below shows the locations for the closures (designated by numbers above):