Cincinnati firefighters rescue 4 people from University Heights house fire

3 people injured in fire

CINCINNATI - Cincinnati firefighters rescued four people from a fire at a multi-family house in University Heights on New Year's Day.

Firefighters responded to a one-alarm fire that was reported at 6:50 a.m. The blaze occurred on the second floor of a three-story, multi-family structure at 2824 Digby Avenue.

Initial units on the scene confirmed a fire on the second floor with multiple reports of people trapped on the third floor above the blaze, said District Fire Chief Gregory A. Potter.

Firefighters entered the structure and aggressively tackled the fire, bringing it under control in less than 10 minutes and confining it to a single room.

Three occupants had exited the building prior to the fire department's arrival, and another four were rescued by firefighters.

Three of the occupants were transported to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center, one with minor injuries and two with critical injuries.

Officials have identified the two critically injured individuals as Ellen Garner, 20, and Chad Kohls, 21. Both are students at the University of Cincinnati.

There were no firefighter injuries at this scene, Potter said.

The Cincinnati Fire Department determined the fire was caused by an electric space heater that was placed too close to bedding material in a second floor bedroom.

Damage is estimated at $20,000.

In all, 40 firefighters responded to the incident.

Print this article Back to Top

Comments

or Subscribe now so you can share your opinion! It’s only a penny for a month trial.