Like what you see? Join Insider on Nov. 30 for our best deal on an annual membership ever: $19.99 and we give you a $20 Amazon.com Gift Card (while supplies last).
WCPO Insider is a membership bringing you closer to the city you love. As an Insider you receive rewards, stories and access to new experiences across your community.
Boy was vacationing with family in Tennessee
Doctors weigh in on your options
There's more to the story when you become an Insider. WCPO Insider's membership is an additional benefit on top of everything you can get for free on WCPO.com. We created an entire digital organization dedicated to bringing you exclusive access to in-depth stories that you can’t get anywhere else, handpicked events, and incredible savings on things you love to do. To find out more click here.
Ethan Aldridge, 11, was on vacation with his family near the Ocoee River in Chattanooga, Tennessee when a copperhead snake bit him.
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. – An 11-year-old Fairfield boy is recovering after being attacked by a venomous snake this week while on vacation in Tennessee.
Ethan Aldridge, a student at Fairfield Middle School, was hiking with his family by the Ocoee River near Chattanooga, Tennessee at about 7 p.m. Monday when a copperhead snake lunged out and bit him.
Aldridge was climbing on some rocks when he felt a sharp pain in his left hand and spotted the snake. He was flown to Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga for treatment and was released from the hospital Wednesday.
"My finger is still numb from the bite, but otherwise it's pretty good, painless." Aldridge said.
According to WDEF-TV in Tennessee , Aldridge is one of 13 people in the Tennessee Valley recently bitten by venomous snakes. Five of the victims were children.
Aldridge said doctors told him he is very lucky the venom didn't travel through his body. They said his hand will heal, but slowly.
"My pain is going to (last) for another week to ten days, but the swelling is going to last for like a month," he said.
Aldridge’s mother, Jenette Mulholland, said she was with her son when he was bitten and did some quick research on her smartphone to figure out what to do next.
"The joy of having a smartphone is I was able to look up very quickly what we needed to do," she said. "I looked at him and said, 'I know it hurts, but you need to calm down.' He took a deep breath… and immediately did what he was told to do."
Mulholland said she's thankful her son is alive and his hand should be back to normal soon.
“It doesn’t look like he’s going to lose any tissue but that’s always a possibility with a snake bite," she said. "He does have some dead tissue. But it’s not to the extent he’s going to lose mobility in his hand.”
Aldridge is expected to be okay. He said he will go back to Fairfield with a good story to tell. But for now, he has some advice for other children playing outdoors.
"Be careful and look before you step or put your hand somewhere," he said.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), if you see a snake in your home, immediately call the animal control agency in your county.
If you or someone else is bitten by a snake:
The CDC says you should NOT do the following if you or someone else is bitten by a snake: