CINCINNATI - State representative Steve Chabot (R-OH) is questioning the Department of Transportation's recent decision to award the city of Cincinnati with nearly $11 million to go toward the streetcar project.
The department's secretary, Ray LaHood, along with Mayor Mark Mallory, made the announcement about the approval of the funds today.
But Chabot thinks there are a number of projects that would better benefit from those dollars.
In a statement, Chabot says, "The Department of Transportation announced today that an additional $10.9 million in Stimulus dollars are being allocated to fund the Cincinnati streetcar project. The Brent Spence Bridge had been deemed "functionally obsolete" and is consistently named by our community as a top priority. After all, didn't President Obama himself stand at the foot of the bridge just weeks ago, noting the importance of the Brent Spence replacement? If the Department of Transportation is in need of projects to fund, I would contend that the bridge project is far more valuable to our community and would be a wiser use of these dollars."
The City of Cincinnati competed with 827 other applications to win the grant for the streetcar through the Department of Transportation's Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery (TIGER) III funding process.
"The fact that the Secretary came to Cincinnati to make the announcement shows that the Administration believes in this project and its ability to transform Cincinnati," Mayor Mark Mallory said during today's announcement. "The Streetcar will bring more people, more investment, and more jobs to the heart of our city. The grant allows us to extend the route from Fountain Square to the riverfront, and that will make all of the new development at the Banks more accessible to everyone."
The transit system will link The Banks to Findlay Market while future additions will reach the University of Cincinnati, the zoo and other neighborhoods. The funding from the Department of Transportation will go to lengthen the Streetcar route an additional mile, stretching the route down to the Banks Development on Second Street.
Work on the project is expected to begin in early 2012.
Copyright Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Political Cocktail's podcast version will alternate on Mondays with the video version of the show. Listen to local political news and…
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley sits down with WCPO's government and politics reporter Kevin Osborne to talk streetcar, tea party and the…
The city of Cincinnati released details on how much it will cost to ride downtown's streetcar.
A judge rejected two motions to dismiss the case against blogger Randy Simes involving a ballot cast during early voting in July.
Meet The Carol Ann and Ralph V. Haile, Jr./U.S. Bank Foundation, the organization that refused to give up until the Cincinnati streetcar…
After much debate and deal-making, City Council decided the costs were too high to cancel the project.
Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley and some city council members said Tuesday that SORTA assuming the cost of the streetcar is "too risky."
Artists are dreamers who see potential and stretch possibility, not myopic cynics acting on fear and self-interest. As Cincinnati's new…
Newly elected Cincinnati City Councilman Kevin Flynn has a message for streetcar supporters: Bring him a petition to put the project before…
After heated debate Wednesday, City Council voted 5-4 to suspend the streetcar project pending an audit.