CINCINNATI - A local tradition that goes back generations is observed once again through Friday morning.
According to the St. Anthony Messenger website, the parish offers these suggestions for praying the steps :
- Pray the Rosary. Pray a Hail Mary on each step leading up to the church.
- Pray another favorite prayer of your own.
- Pray on each step, "Lord Jesus, thank you for your most holy sacrifice."
- Reflect on the events of Jesus' betrayal, arrest, persecution and crucifixion.
- Read the Gospel of Luke from the beginning of Chapter 22 through Chapter 23, reading a few sentences on each step.
- Simply pray in your own words, talking and listening to God.
The activity is associated with the stations of the cross in the story of the crucifixion of Jesus.
The devotion takes place from midnight on Holy Thursday to midnight on Good Friday. As many as 8,000 to 10,000 Catholics, some from around the world , are expected to take part in the religious observance.
The tradition dates back to 1860, when the church was being built.
You can find out more information by visiting the following link: http://ow.ly/jz0Z7
You can view a video called "Pilgrimage to Immaculata," a video description of the uniqueness of the event, by clicking on the video player below. (Note to mobile and tablet user: Open the story in a browser to watch the video.)