CINCINNATI - The collapse of a deck at the Horseshoe Casino which injured several construction workers Friday morning has delayed construction efforts at the site, according to an official with the company developing the casino.
Construction was halted after a deck collapsed at the site of the new casino at the corner of Gilbert Avenue and E. Court Street. There is no timeline for when construction will begin again on the casino, said Steve Rosenthal of Rock Gaming LLC, which is developing the casino with Rock Ohio Caesars LLC.
In a press conference on Friday afternoon, Rosenthal said construction will begin on the casino when the site has cleared all of the required safety checks. Cincinnati Fire Department, Rock Gaming and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration are conducting full investigations, which are beginning Friday, Rosenthal said.
Although the accident could delays construction, Rosenthal said the site is still on track to open in the spring of 2013.
Rock Gaming is also helping develop the Cleveland Horseshoe Casino, which had the floor of its parking garage collapse last month. The two incidents are not connected in any way, Rosenthal said.
"These were two different construction management companies and two different sites in two different areas and there was nothing in common," Rosenthal said.
To read more information about the collapse, go to http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_news/police-several-people-may-have-been-hurt-in-construction-accident-at-horseshoe-casino. To see images of the collapse, go to http://www.wcpo.com/gallery/news/news_photo_gallery/casino-collapse-injures-numerous-workers.
To watch a video of the news conference, click on the video player in the top left hand corner.
Stay with 9 News and WCPO.com for updates as they become available.