DAYTON, Ky. -- A family of five was forced out of their home on Kenton Avenue by a fire that started in the kitchen just before 1 a.m. Tuesday.
The fire quickly spread to the second floor, meaning neighbors had to use a ladder to get two trapped family members off the roof before firefighters even arrived. Everybody escaped safely, including the family dogs and guinea pigs.
The home smoked for several hours and has been boarded up as investigators work to figure out what sparked the blaze. The Red Cross is assisting the family.