Driver may have fled scene of fatal crash that killed 14-year-old girl

HAMILTON, Ohio -- A 911 recording that documented the moments after a stolen vehicle slammed into a tree, killing a teenage girl, sheds new light on the investigation.

Journal-News obtained the recording that shows at least one teenager ran from the scene of the crash.

Nicole Denney, a 14-year-old Hopewell Junior High School student, was pronounced dead after the wreck Tuesday morning near the intersection of Mosler and Cornell Avenues.

Denney’s 16-year-old boyfriend was speeding in a 1994 Toyota Camry that was stolen from a Fairfield Township residence when he lost control and crashed into a tree around 1 a.m., according to Hamilton police.

Hamilton Police Sgt. Ed Buns described the crash as horrendous.

"I can tell you I’ve been doing this 35 years -- this is one of the most totally destroyed cars I've ever seen,” Buns said. “The tree came in through the passenger side door."

RELATED: Hopewell Junior High School student killed in Hamilton crash was in stolen car, police say

A man who identified himself as Jody called dispatchers, saying, “This one kid just took off running that was driving and there’s a girl trapped in the car.”

The man talked to Denney and told her to be calm.

“Can you hear me? Are you conscious? What is your name?” he said on the recording. “She is just making noises.”

"She is barely breathing," the man later told dispatchers. He described the driver he saw running from the scene. He said there had to be more people involved who also fled because a minivan was at the crash site.

It took rescue teams two hours to extricate Denney from the car. She was pronounced dead once she was freed, according to reports.

Police say the driver, whose name has not been released, did not have a driver's license. He sustained back and internal injuries and possibly a broken wrist.

The car was stolen from a home in the 2900 block of Gateway Drive in Fairfield Township, according to investigators. The owner of the vehicle, Andrew Carlson, was unaware his vehicle had been stolen from the parking lot when officers arrived at his home around 4 a.m. to inform him.


Print this article Back to Top