Everything is better with bacon, even Coney Island.
Promising to put the "pork" in Porkopolis, the amusement park in Anderson Township is joining forces with a collection of local restaurants Saturday to put on Bacon Fest Cincinnati . The event coincides with International Bacon Day, which is annually recognized on August 30.
Organizer Amy Zahora has helped put on events the past two years in Dayton, the most recent taking place Aug. 17. She says she expects the first Cincinnati festival to be a "little bigger" than past efforts.
"We have a couple more restaurants than we've had in Dayton, I think, and with the size of Cincinnati, we're expecting a lot of people to turn out for the event," said Zahora. "I mean, who doesn't love bacon?"
SEE THE FULL LIST OF RESTAURANTS AND MENU ITEMS BELOW
From 1 to 9 p.m. attendees can try tasty bacon-based creations like bacon cheesecake, bacon Alfredo croquettes and something called a "pork bomb" from eateries such as Bistro de Mohr, Hunger Paynes and Urban Grill Food Truck.
There are even a handful of vegetarian options for the passive aggressive bacon lovers.
All of the eateries promise at least dishes that range in price from $3 to $6. For instance, Dominique’s Bistro is serving up bacon caramel corn ($3), bacon potato salad ($4) and a bacon-wrapped chicken drumstick with BBQ sauce ($6).
"We have some great restaurants in the lineup this year and a great food menu," said Zahora, who represents a grassroots group that gets together to support our local restaurants, Restaurant Raiders .
"We hope that people fall in love with the food they try during the festival and remember who served it to them the next time they're thinking about going out to dinner."
In addition to the tasty treats there are live musical performances throughout the festival. The bands Hey There Morgan (1 to 3 p.m.), Funkus (4 to 6:15 p.m.) and Not That Bad (6:45 to 9 p.m.) are all slated to perform.
Bacon Fest will take place in the park's picnic area so admission is free. Guests do need to fork over $8 to pay for parking, though.
List of participating restaurants and the menu:
Bistro de Mohr
- Chicken-Bacon Flatbread
- Guanciale Cheeseburger
- Bacon Cheddar Potato Wedges
- Hog Balls (Fried Deliciousness with Potato, Cheddar, Bacon and a 'Lil Jalepeno)
- Bourbon Bacon Brittle
- Bacon Cheesecake $3
- Bacon Cole Slaw $3
- Bacon-Wrapped Crab Balls with Lobster Sauce $5
- Bacon Crab Cake Po Boy $6
Dena’s Diner & Pub
- Drunkin’ Piggy Wraps (Bourbon Sauce, Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato)
- Bacon, Broccoli Slaw
- Bacon Caramerl Corn $3
- Bacon Potato Salad $4
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken Drumstick with BBQ Sauce $6
- Loaded Potato Croquettes $4 and $6
- BLT Croquettes $ 4 and $6
- Bacon Alfredo Croquettes $4 and $6
- Bacon Pretzel Bites $5
Sugar Snap! Sweet Treats
- Gourmet Bacon Cupcakes $3
- Cookies and Brownies $3
- Chocolate Covered Bacon $6
- Frozen Cheesecake on a Stick covered in Chocolate OH MY $5
- Chocolate Covered Bacon $3
- Bacon Waffles $5
Tex Mex Joe’s/Texas Joe Tacos
- Chipotle Chicken Taco $4
- Picadillo (Beef with Veggies) Taco $4
- Vegetarian Option also, made with Local Veggies $4
- 12-Hour Braised Beef Brisket Taco $5
- 12-Hour Hickory Smoked Pork $5
- All items include Hickory Bacon, Black Bean and Corn Salsa, Shredded Cabbage with Fresh Lime Juice, Agave Nectar, topped with Grated Cotija Cheese and Homemade Green Sauce
- Candied Bacon $2 for one slice (or 3 slices for $5)
- BBQ Meatballs $5
- Bacon-Wrapped Shrimp $5
- Pork Bombs $6
Urban Grill Food Truck
- Bacon Jam on Flat Bread $3
- Bacon Stix $ 5 (includes two dipping sauces)
Pit to Plate
- Bacon Cole Slaw $2
- Bacon Macaroni and Cheese $ 3
- Pork Sandwich with Jalapeno Bacon $4
- BBQ Sundae $ 4 (Bacon, Pork topped with Fried Onions & Smoky Cheddar)
- Bee Sting (Mozzarella, Pepperoni and Basil-Infused Honey on Tuscan Pane with Chili Flakes Butter) $4
- Mozzarella Cheese, Bacon, Fresh Baby Spinach and Sun Dried Tomato Spread $4
- Red or White Hot Dog $3
- With Bacon Meat Sauce $4
- Cheeseburger $4
- With Bacon Meat Sauce $5
- Polish Kielbasa $5
- With Bacon Meat Sauce $6
- Macaroni Salad $2
- Soft Pretzels with Bacon-Nacho Cheese $6
- Bacon Fest Mary $7.50
- Bacon Chicken Southwest Wrap $ 3
- Smokey Bacon Guacamole $4
- Maple Bacon Funnel Cakes $5
- Bacon Carbonara $ $5