Last winter AAA's Roadside Rescue Team received more than 51,000 calls from motorists needing roadside assistance and say the most common problems were dead batteries and flat tires.
This year AAA plans to help motorists get an early start on preparedness for winter weather.
They are offering free preventative maintenance inspections to drivers Thursday from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the AAA/Bob Sumerel Tire & Service in Colerain.
Experts say three out of four car seats are installed incorrectly and safety technicians and the Colerain Township Fire Department will be at the event Thursday to help drivers with children by offering free car seat checks.
AAA helpful winter weather tips:
- Check wipers, fill windshield wiper fluid and clean headlights and taillights to improve visibility.
- Keep an eye on the battery. The cold weather makes it harder for the battery to start the car, especially on chilly mornings.
- Inspect tire tread to avoid sliding and skidding.
- Check tire pressure to prevent blow-outs.
- Keep fuel tank full to avoid running out of gas and getting stuck on the side of the road.
- If locks freeze on vehicles, place a warm towel over the lock to thaw it.
- To prevent doors from freezing shut, place a very thin coat of petroleum jelly around rubber mold on the inside of the doors.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.