From Christmas cards to breakups to mistletoe, here are some surprising facts about the Yuletide holiday that you probably didn't know.
1. Each year 3 billion Christmas cards are sent in the U.S.
2. According to the Guinness world records, the tallest Christmas tree ever cut was a 221-foot Douglas fir.
3. According to data analyzed from Facebook posts, two weeks before Christmas is one of the two most popular times for couples to break up. Christmas Day, however, is the least favorite day for breakups.
4. Christmas trees have been sold in the U.S. since 1850.
5. Christmas wasn't declared an official holiday in the United States until June 26, 1870.
6. Mistletoe ( Viscum album) is from the Anglo-Saxon word misteltan, which means "little dung twig" because the plant spreads though bird droppings.
7. It is estimated that the single "White Christmas" by Irving Berlin is the best selling single of all time, with over 100 million sales worldwide.
8. Approximately 30-35 million real (living) Christmas trees are sold each year in the U.S.
9. Christmas purchases account for 1/6 of all retail sales in the U.S.
( Source: RandomFacts.com)
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.