WEST CHESTER, Ohio - Ohio may end a property tax break in its next state budget.
Currently Ohioians pay 87.5 percent of local property taxes while the state picks up the other 12.5 percent. That would go away if the proposed state budget becomes law.
If that happens school districts and others would get the same amount of money, but it would cost taxers more.
The Lakota school board hopes to dodge that by putting a 5.5 mill levy on the November ballot before the law changes. The levy would cover operating costs and security upgrades.
If passed, the levy would cost a homeowner $168 for a $100,000 home.
If the levy fails that same measure will cost taxpayers $190 for a $100,000 home if it's on the ballot again.
"This November looks a whole lot better than anything in 2014 because the taxpayers still get the benefit of that 12.5 percent deduct off of their tax bill," said Jenni Logan, Lakota District Treasurer.
The end of the rollback would not affect current levies and levy renewals. The state budget would also cut income taxes and increase the state sales tax.
Gov. John Kasich must sign the new budget by July 1.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.