Photo Video
Aaron Foster of Kenwood attempted to revive the 12-year-old who died in the I-275 pile-up Monday.
Hide Caption

Kenwood man attempts to revive 12-year-old girl during I-275 pileup

a a a a
Share this story
Show Related Headlines
Related Articles
Girl killed in I-275 crash ID'd
SB I-75 reopened after 50-vehicle crash
VIDEO: Witnesses recap 275, 75 crashes
What caused I-275, I-75 crashes?
PHOTOS: Fatal accident on I-275
VIDEOS: Scene of 86-vehicle crash on 275

CINCINNATI - Aaron Foster of Kenwood was on his way to his parents' house along westbound I-275 when the 86-vehicle pileup began.

"I didn't know what the noise was. I was like, 'What is that sound?'" Foster said. "It just kept coming and coming, it kept piling up, it was horrible."

Around 11:30 a.m. Monday, drivers along I-275 were blindsided by a burst of snow showers that caused a white-out on the roads. As a result, 86 vehicles were tangled in a pileup and dozens were injured.

Foster, 31, missed the collision by a matter of seconds, after he pulled his vehicle off to the side of the road to see what was happening.

"I looked over and saw what I thought was the piece of a car flying through the median. It was a little girl," he said.

Foster said he tried to save the girl's life.

"I didn't really think about it as being a brave thing. I just wanted to make sure everyone was OK," Foster said.

Authorities said the girl was struck by a cable median barrier after she got out of the damaged car.

"At first I covered her with my coat because she was laying face down," Foster said. "I didn't want to move her in case she had something wrong with her neck so I turned her over and started CPR."

Foster was certified in CPR 10 years ago. Even though he is not a medical professional, he said his training still kicked in.

"My mind kind of goes to a place where I don't panic when it comes to stuff like that," he said.

Paramedics arrived to the scene to attend to the little girl just moments later, however, her injuries were too severe.

"I mean it's a little girl and she died. It's horrible," Foster said.

The 12-year-old girl was taken to Mercy Fairfield Hospital where she was pronounced dead. Officials have not released the victim's name at this time.

Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Print this article


Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!