NEW YORK (AP) - The trial of a New York City police officer charged with conspiring to rape, kill and eat women has been moved from next week to next month.
Federal Judge Paul Gardephe said jury selection in the trial of Gilberto Valle (VAL'-ee) will begin on Feb. 11. He says opening statements will start on Feb. 25.
The trial was scheduled to start next week. A lawyer for Valle said he needs extra time to prepare because being in prison has made it difficult for Valle to review nearly 1 million pages of evidence. A three-judge federal appeals panel in Manhattan Tuesday agreed with three lower-court judges in declining to grant him bail.
Valle was arrested months before the arrest last week of a 22-year-old Trenton, N.J., man, Michael Vanhise (van-HYS'). He, like Valle, has pleaded not guilty to conspiracy.
Copyright Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.