CINCINNATI - What if you could increase your chances of a long, healthy life just by changing up your diet: Would you do it?
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and your first line of defense is knowledge. Many studies have pointed to certain foods as cancer-fighters, preventing the growth and development of cancerous cells. Sink your teeth into the list of 9 foods that have shown to help battle various forms of cancer.
1. Broccoli: This leafy veggie contains a good amount of sulforaphane, a compound that boosts your body’s protective enzymes and essentially flushes out cancer-causing chemicals.
2. Berries. We’ve all heard that berries are loaded with antioxidants; but black raspberries in particular contain high levels of anthocyanins, which slow the growth of premalignant cells and keep new blood vessels – potentially feeding a cancerous tumor – from forming.
3. Tomatoes. This fruit is one of the best forms of lycopene, which is great news: according to a Nutrition and Cancer study, lycopene was found to stop endometrial cancer cell growth.
4. Walnuts. The phytosterols found in walnuts have been shown to block estrogen receptors to breast cancer cells, which could possibly slow the cells’ growth.
5. Garlic. Unless you’re a vampire, you should be incorporating this food into your diet. Phytochemicals in garlic half the formation of certain carcinogens found in the stomach when you consume nitrates.
6. Beans. Studies have shown that high levels of legumes, particularly black and navy beans, in your diet protect your body against cancer growth. Dried beans were also found to be effective in preventing breast cancer in rats.
7. Green tea. Antioxidants in green tea could help prevent cancer in a number of ways, including stopping free radicals from damaging cells.
8. Whole grains. Whole grain components like fiber and antioxidants may help lower your risk of cancer, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research.
9. Grapes. Bonus points if they’re red grapes! The skin of red grapes contains the antioxidant resveratrol (this is also found in grape juice and red wine). The National Cancer Institute says resveratrol could be helpful in preventing cancer from spreading.