CINCINNATI - Nurses provide the TLC we need to feel better and stay well. In our "Ask the Nurse" feature, WCPO contributor Gretchen MacKnight consults a Tri-State RN for the expert and common sense answers to some of the questions we have about our health.
- Patricia Weisbach, BSN, RN, ONC, CMSRN
- Where She Works: TriHealth Weight Management, Good Samaritan Hospital
- Nursing School Attended: University of Cincinnati, BSN
Weisbach has worked for 26 years at Good Samaritan Hospital--with 18 years of post-anesthesia direct care and four years as a nurse educator for general surgery and orthopedics. She was recently promoted to Bariatric Surgery Program Supervisor at the TriHealth Weight Management Center. Weisbach is a certified medical-surgical registered nurse and orthopedic certified nurse.
Is it really possible to lose five pounds quickly--and safely? Patricia Weisbach of TriHealth Weight Management has the formula.
Q&A with Nurse Weisbach:
1. A lot of people carry a little extra weight and want to “shape up” for the summer season. Is it really possible to lose 5 pounds fast?
Yes, and with a few changes and done safely, you could lose 5 pounds in 2-3 weeks.
2. What mistakes are people making that cause them to carry a few extra pounds?
Eating late at night, inactivity, and choosing high fat foods instead of healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables can result in extra weight.
3. Are there certain foods that trigger weight loss?
If you start your meals by eating a protein first, you will feel fuller sooner. For example, foods like eggs, white meat, baked chicken, and high fiber foods such as beans and edamame, help you to feel fuller sooner.
4. What foods should you avoid and why?
Foods high in sodium will make you retain water, such as soy sauce, pickles, canned soups, and foods with MSG.
5. You say “shop around the outside of grocery store.” What do you mean by that?
The outer perimeter of the store has your fresh produce, dairy (fat free items), and meats (lean). These are the types of foods you need to include in your daily diet to be healthy and to help with weight loss.The center of the store usually has your processed and canned foods.
Exceptions: Two areas that are safe in the center of the grocery store are the frozen fruits and vegetables section and the organic section of the store.
6. When you’re trying to lose weight, what should you drink?
7. What drinks should you avoid and why?
Diet drinks have a sweetness that drives us to want sweets. Caffeine is also a driver for hunger.
8. Are there any simple exercises or activities that promote weight loss?
Park far away from your destination, so that you walk more.Take walks at the end of the day.
While you are sitting or standing for long periods of time, just start tightening up and releasing your muscles. You can do this in the car when you are driving. For example, tighten up and then relax your gluteals (buttock muscles).
Exercise gives you energy and endorphins. Endorphins are a naturally occurring chemical in the body that is released into your system when you exercise. Endorphins produce a positive feeling. That’s a part of why people feel so good after they have an exercise workout or after running.
9. Does sleep affect your body, your weight, and your eating patterns? Can a good night’s sleep really help you lose weight?
Yes, if you get less than 7 hours of sleep each night, your body may secrete higher levels of ghrelin (a hunger hormone). As a result, you may eat more and gain weight. Get a good night's sleep.
10. Certain foods are just hard to resist. Any advice on willpower and mindset?
Surround yourself with people who have the same goals on trying to lose weight and eat healthier. Use some type of diary to track your intake. There are many apps that can help you to easily record your meals, snacks, and activity. This will help you to be more aware of what you are eating. Keep the tempting foods out of the house.Some people can eat tempting foods and walk away. For others, it’s not so easy. Be aware of what type of person you are and how you can manage those hard to resist foods.
11. Any other tips for weight loss success?
When you are hungry for a snack, try to find a healthier alternative to the typical fattening foods options. For example, choose fruits or veggies with salsa. Make your own health snack. Successful weight loss is the combination of healthful eating, increased activity, regular exercise, and feeling good about what you are doing.