Summary Box: Getting an extension to file taxes

a a a a
Share this story

NOT TOO LATE: Taxpayers who are not going to make the Monday, 11:59 p.m. EDT deadline to file their federal tax return need not panic. The IRS will give until Oct. 15 to file if you ask for an extension by midnight Monday.

EXTENSION TIME: To request the extension, fill out IRS Form 4868, which is available on the IRS website , through most tax preparation software, as well as in public libraries and post offices.

TAX BILL: If you owe income taxes, you must pay them by the Monday deadline. An extension won't help you avoid interest and other fees.


You can file your taxes online by visiting the following link:

Tax forms can be found on the IRS website at the following link:

You can file for an extension by visiting the following link:

Copyright Copyright AP Modified, Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Print this article


Hmm... It looks like you’re not a WCPO Insider. or Subscribe now to contribute!

Market Summary
The Dow Jones Industrial Average SM is proprietary to and is calculated, distributed and marketed by Dow Jones Indexes, a licensed trademark of CME Group Index Services LLC and have been licensed for use. "Dow Jones(r)", "Dow Jones Indexes" and "Dow Jones Industrial Average SM" are service marks of Dow Jones Trademark Holdings, LLC. "CME" is a trademark of Chicago Mercantile Exchange Inc. All content of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (c) CME Group Index Services LLC 2010.