Our partners at Consumer Reports Magazine have just released their much anticipated Top Pick cars for 2014.
To find the best of the best, Consumer Reports tested more than 260 cars, drove hundreds of thousands of miles and put them through over 50 tests.
A top pick must also perform well in government and industry crash tests and it has to be reliable.
- This year’s top pickup truck is the Ram 1500. The new redesign makes this powerful truck feel like a luxury vehicle. It is Chrysler's first entry on the C/R Best list in a decade.
- The Subaru Forester is Top Pick for small SUV. It has the best fuel economy in its class, easy to use controls and a very roomy back seat.
- If you need more room the Hyundai Santa Fe is the Top Pick Midsized SUV. The redesign brought even more room and comfort to an already competitive vehicle.
- The Honda Accord four-cylinder is the Top Pick mid-sized sedan. Reasonably priced at about $23,000, it’s really nice to drive and gets 30 miles per gallon overall.
- The Top Pick compact car is the Subaru Impreza.
- The Top Pick luxury car is the Audi A6
- The Top Pick green car is the Toyota Prius
- The Top Pick minivan is the Honda Odyssey, no surprise there, as it wins most years.
- And this year’s Top Pick of the Top Picks, the best car overall, is the electric Tesla Model S. It handles beautifully, is loaded with the latest electronic innovations and it gets the equivalent of 84 miles per gallon. Unfortunately, it costs around $75,000, but you can always dream.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports’ website. Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org.
Whatever car you buy, don't waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like" John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter (@JohnMatarese)
Copyright 2014 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
John Matarese reports on the wait for ignition switch repairs
A dangerous new phishing scam is targeting the sensitive information of millions of Netflix users.
John Matarese has a caution for anyone trying to save money by dress shopping onlin.e
John Matarese shares the latest freebies. Click here for App of the Week
Check out John Matarese's latest money saving smartphone apps.
John Matarese has a warning about a major tax scam this spring.
When it comes to chicken, big packs of boneless breasts look like a good deal. But look closer.
John Matarese looks into higher prices hitting just as spring arrives
John Matarese warns about the "One-Ring" scam
As millions of Americans race to meet Tuesday's tax deadline, they will make mistakes that could increase their chances of being put…