Thinking of buying a new car, a laptop, or a closet full of clothing in the near future? If you shop in Ohio, you will have to pay another 1/4 percent in sales tax, beginning on Sunday, Sept. 1.
It's all part of a new tax plan approved by Gov. John Kasich and Ohio lawmakers. Your income tax will be reduced slightly, offsetting the increase for most working families.
-In Hamilton, Clermont, and Warren County the sales tax rises from 6.5 percent to 6.75 percent.
-In Butler County, the sales tax rises from 6.25 percent to 6.5 percent.
9 Things That Will Cost More
The good news: You'll barely notice the sales tax hike, unless you are buying a big ticket item, like a new car, boat, or kitchen.
It will add an extra penny onto every $4 item you buy.
So there's no need to rush out to buy a new shirt, for instance, to beat the sales tax hike. But if you are buying a new car, you might want to close the deal on Saturday, Aug. 31, as opposed to on Monday, Sept. 2.
Here is how much more you will pay for 9 popular items:
1. A $20 steak: an extra nickel
2. A $40 restaurant dinner: an extra 10 cents
3. A $500 IPAD: an extra $1.20
4. An $800 HDTV: an extra $2
5. A $1,000 refrigerator: about $3 more.
6. $20,000 car: about $50 more. OK, now we are finally talking real money.
7. A $40,000 SUV: An extra $100. But hey, that sure is a nice SUV!
8. $50,000 worth of new kitchen cabinets, granite counters, and high end appliances: An extra $110. You'll get it back at resale time, though.
9. A $90,000 cabin cruiser boat: An extra $205. But hey, if you can afford a $90,000 boat, that's chump change. Oh, and please invite me along for a cruise.
As always, don't waste your money.
Don't Waste Your Money is a registered trademark of the EW Scripps Co.
"Like: John Matarese on Facebook
Follow John on Twitter (@DWYM)
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
John Matarese shows a great alternative to expensive hospital scans
Do you have an old computer or an ancient cellphone sitting around your house? With Earth Day upon us, it’s the perfect time to do away…
John Matarese warns why trusting apps just because they are popular is not a great idea
Check out John Matarese's latest money saving smartphone apps.
John Matarese has details on an unusual pulling of car recommendations
John Matarese has a caution for magazine subscribers
John Matarese has a preview of Apple's upcoming new iPhone.
John Matarese reports on the wait for ignition switch repairs
John Matarese shares the latest freebies. Click here for App of the Week
This time of year, homeowners are eager to spring into action and get started on home improvement projects. But in order to increase your…