CINCINNATI - Never mind the fact we just wrapped a weekend… It’s time to start planning next weekend’s festivities! Father's Day is in our sights and it is the perfect reason to celebrate.
So, with our own dear old Dad on the brain, we’ve crafted the trio of extra special cocktails here. One recipe stars wine, another is spiked with some liquor, and the last one twists a hometown favorite beer into one creamy treat. Each one stands alone in its ability to stun, but together they’re a kicky salute to the main man in your life.
Build your family's Sunday celebration around the poured-stirred-mixed menu below.
Strawberry Rhubarb Punch
Start with this recipe and then tailor to your pop's preferences: If more sweet is what he seeks, add a pinch of sugar to the mixture to be muddled. Make it stronger with more rum. And if he’d like bubbles, substitute Prosecco or champagne for the Moscato.
- 6 Strawberries
- 2 stalks Rhubarb
- 4 ounces Rum
- 8-10 ounces Moscato Wine
- Stem and quarter the strawberries. Thinly slice 1 stalk of rhubarb and halve the second stalk to be used as stirrers.
- In a cocktail shaker combine half the strawberries, a handful of sliced rhubarb, and 2 ounces of rum; muddle together.
- Next, add the wine and shake it all together. Strain the cocktail and pour over ice.
- Repeat directions for the second cocktail. Garnish both with a slice of strawberry and a stick of rhubarb.
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Yields: 2 Cocktails
Watermelon Ginger Beer
Make tequila-soaked watermelon a staple all summer long. Serve the juicy hunks like ice cubes in a sparkling soda or as a clever garnish to classic desserts. Or, offer them up just as they are as two-bite treats for adults.
- About ¼ of a fresh Watermelon
- Ginger Beer
- Remove the rind from the watermelon and cut the flesh into ½-inch cubes; transfer to an air-tight container.
- Pour enough tequila over the watermelon to submerge all the cubes. Close the container and store in the freezer.
- When ready to serve, scoop a couple cubes of watermelon into a tall glass. Pour the ginger beer over top and serve immediately.
Prep Time: 5-10 Minutes Wait Time: 1 Hour Yields: 4-8 Cocktails
Tips + Tricks: Ginger beer is a non-alcoholic beverage that can be found in most grocery stores in either the soda section or the natural foods area.
Salty Caramel Beer Float
Here we’ve chosen Mt. Carmel Brewing Company’s Nut Brown Ale because of its toasted, nutty flavor--but you should make a float out of your dad's toasty favorites. In fact, we suggest you serve all the dads a stack of scoops and their own bottle of beer. Watch the delight of grown-ups as they pour their own float, and slurp it up like a milkshake.
- 2-3 pints Salted Caramel Gelato
- 6-pack Mt. Carmel Brewing Company’s Nut Brown Ale
- Scoop the gelato into your favorite sundae glasses
- Pour the cold beer over the ice cream and serve immediately
Prep Time: 5 Minutes Yields: 6 Portions
(Photos by Cara Hummel Photography)