How healthy is that yogurt parfait or fruit smoothie?
Our friends at Buzzfeed complied a list of 16 supposedly healthy foods that actually contain more sugar than a Snickers candy bar.
A regular-sized Snickers bar contains 27 grams of sugar, or seven teaspoons. Sugar, corn syrup and lactose, three different types of sugars, are listed in the ingredients.
Nutritionists say we shouldn't consume more than 25 grams of added sugar per day.
So when we're eating something we believe to be "healthy," we take it at face value. Well, not anymore.
16 "healthy" foods that have more sugar than a candy bar:
- Odwalla Original Superfood drink: 37 grams of sugar. Most of the sugar is accredited to the fruit in the juice but it's still sugar.
- Jamba Juice Banana Berry smoothie (small): 60 grams of sugar or 15 teaspoons.
- McDonald's Fruit & Maple oatmeal: 32 grams of sugar. Oatmeal is a carb, which gets converted to glucose in the bloodstream, just like sugar.
- Dunkin' Donuts reduced-fat blueberry muffin: 40 grams of sugar.
- Chobani Black Cherry blended yogurt: 28 grams of sugar. Yogurts are sweetened with more than just fruit.
- Stonyfield fat-free blackberry blend yogurt: 28 grams of sugar.
- Burger King chicken, apple and cranberry Garden Fresh salsa with TENDERGRILL: 38 grams of sugar.
- Pom Wonderful juice (8 oz. bottle): 31 grams of sugar.
- Snapple green tea (16 oz. bottle): 30 grams sugar.
- Sunmaid raisins (quarter-cup): 29 grams of sugar.
- IHOP whole wheat pancakes with banana, no syrup: 32 grams of sugar.
- Vitamin Water Power-C: 32 grams of sugar.
- VitaCoco coconut water with pineapple (16 oz.): 30 grams of sugar.
- Chili's Caribbean chicken salad: 67 grams of sugar.
- Juice Generation amazing green acai bowl: 41 grams of sugar.
- Starbucks Greek yogurt and honey parfait: 30 grams of sugar.
Be sure to read the labels before buying!