'Sopranos' star James Gandolfini's death earns response from Hollywood elite
10:49 PM, Jun 19, 2013
10:51 PM, Jun 19, 2013
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- James Gandolfini's fans and colleagues shared reaction to his death Wednesday:
- "He was a genius. Anyone who saw him even in the smallest of his performances knows that. He is one of the greatest actors of this or any time. A great deal of that genius resided in those sad eyes. he was my partner. ... He was my brother in ways I can't explain and never will be able to explain." - David Chase, creator of "The Sopranos."
- "James Gandolfini. This is a tremendous loss. A brilliant actor and a wonderful man. Our deepest sympathies to his family. Devastating." - Actor Michael Chiklis on Twitter.
- "The great James Gandolfini passed away today. Only 51. I can't believe it." - Bette Midler on Twitter.
- "It's an awful shock. James Gandolfini was a fine actor, a Rutgers alum and a true Jersey guy. I was a huge fan of his and the character he played so authentically, Tony Soprano. I have gotten to know Jimmy and many of the other actors in the Sopranos cast and I can say that each of them are an individual New Jersey treasure." - New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.
- "James Gandolfini what a nice guy, so funny and sweet. He will be sorely missed. Our deepest condolences to his family." - Aerosmith guitarist Joe Perry on Twitter.
- "I am heartbroken about James Gandolfini. He was a gentle giant and great man. I love this picture, I loved him." - Actress Rose McGowan, who posted a snapshot of her and Gandolfini on Twitter.
- "My condolences to the family and all those who loved James Gandolfini - a true NJ Great and NJ Original. RIP." - Newark Mayor Cory Booker on Twitter.
- "You will be missed greatly James Gandolfini Maybe best actor ever on a tv series. Salute'" - Comedian Artie Lange on Twitter.
- "awful awful news. James Gandolfini will be missed. He was a great actor. Just great." - Mia Farrow on Twitter.
- "James Gandolfini. Unbelievably sad news. A fine man." - Steve Carell on Twitter.
-"My thoughts and prayers go out to James Gandolfini's family. An extraordinary actor. RIP, Mr. Gandolfini." - Robin Williams.
- "Fifty-one and leaves a kid -- he was newly married. His son is fatherless now ... It's way too young." - Joe Gannascoli, who played Vito Spatafore on "The Sopranos."
- "James Gandolfini.. So talented, so nice and far too young to be taken away. You will be missed Sir" - Actress Shannen Doherty on Twitter.
- "R.I.P. James Gandolfini. Such a great actor. More than just tony soprano and that would have been a lot on its own." - Musician Rob Thomas on Twitter.
- "I am so deeply saddened by the untimely passing of sweet James Gandolfini! My heart is broken for his family!! I'm in shock worked with him in "Surviving Christmas"" - Christina Applegate on Twitter.
- "James Gandolfini was a kind, funny, wonderful guy. I'm so lucky to have worked with him. Sending love to his family. Such a sad, sad day. worked with him on "The Incredible Burt Wonderstone"" - Olivia Wilde on Twitter.