CINCINNATI -- Friday was a special day for beer drinkers worldwide as they celebrated the frothy goodness that is stouts.
International Stout Day is a worldwide celebration that take place in pubs, breweries and restaurants to honor the venerable beer style that goes backs to the 1730s. It was the third year for the celebration.
While the day-long event has come to a close, that doesn't mean you shouldn't take the chance to appreciate a full-bodied pint this weekend.
According to StoutDay.com , the first stouts were made when London’s brewers developed stronger porter recipes known as “stouts.”
The beer style rose in popularity as brewers in the 1800s created the Russian Imperial Stouts to win favor with the Russian czars.
One of the world’s most famous stout brewers is Guinness for its Dry or Irish Stout.
More recently, modern beer fans are in love with the oatmeal, chocolate and oysters stouts.
Just in time for #StoutDay (and the weekend), 9beer put together a list of some of the best local stouts available currently:
- Mt. Carmel - Year-round Stout
- MadTree - Axis Mundi
- Fifty West – Loneliest Road American Stout, Coffee Please Stout
- Listermann/Triple Digit – Lateral 562 Oatmeal Stout, Cranium Coffee Vanilla Stout, Cincinnatus Bourbon Barrel aged stout (available in 2 weeks)
- Cellar Dweller – Lookout Stout, Eye Opener Hazelnut Coffee Stout (available soon)
- Great Crescent – Bourbon Barrel Stout, Cherry Stout (available Nov. 14)
- Rivertown – Imperial Oatmeal Raisin Stout (available early December)
Follow #9Beer's Jesse Folk on Twitter at @wcpojesse .