CINCINNATI -- We are just a few short days away from Cincinnati Beer Week 2014, the third installment in this grass roots movement to elevate and educate about well-crafted beer.
This movement has gained tremendous momentum in this short period of time and we now face a staggering 100+ beer events in a short (8-day) week.
I’ve sifted through the list to pull out some of the events that pique my interest or may be a limited opportunity to try some rare beers.
In any event, you can’t go wrong with ANY of the events lined up . All are well-thought out and sure to please.
Thursday, Feb 6
- Cincinnati Beer Week Collaboration Beer – Hostivit – Tappings: What better way to start Beer Week than with the beer created just for this special week?! Check it out at Marty’s and Rivertown .
- Brewer’s Choice for Charity : Arthur’s brings back it’s popular local brewery charity competition. $1 of every point sold goes to a charity chosen by the local breweries. The top selling brewer gets their donation doubled (plus bragging rights)!
- Lagunitas Official Cincinnati Release : Lagunitas has long escaped the Cincinnati market until now! This large brewery based out of Petaluma, CA makes some real high-value craft beer. By that I mean, a high quality product at very reasonable prices. I’ve enjoyed nearly every beer I’ve tried from them in my travels and I urge you to take this opportunity to get introduced if you haven’t done so already.
- Hop Heads Unite Blind Tasting : Participate in your own King of the Cincinnati IPA contest as the Brass Tap lines up blind samples of local IPAs for you to score. The winner earns bragging rights until next year’s Beer Week.
Friday, Feb 7
- Wings and Beer Pairing at Listermann/Triple Digit: A true beer/food marriage made in heaven comes together as you pair Cafe de Wheels wings in four different sauces with four different Listermann/Triple Digit beers. BONUS: The Cincinnati’s Brewing History exhibit from the Betts House will be at Listermann at the same time!
- Chili Pepper Infused Oaked Arnold’s 1861 Porter Firkin : It’s a mouthful, but the evil geniuses at Moerlein have pumped up their Arnold’s 1861 Porter for a single-release firkin at Arnold’s Bar. The oak and chilies should prove to add some seriously complex flavors to this beer!
- Blind Tasting and Bacon Extravaganza : Beer. Bacon. Yes! Put your beer geek muscles to the test at The Party Source/Ei8ht Ball as you sniff a selection of beer blindfolded to see if you can correctly identify them. Get it right, pay a fraction of the cost. Get them wrong, pay full fare with a slice going to charity. They will also have their bacon bar fired up to add some vitamin B to your night.
Saturday, Feb 8
- Beer Based Craft Cocktails at Rivertown: Thanks to innovative mixologists, you don’t have to be torn between your love for beer and spirits. Check out Rivertown’s expanded taproom and try three beers and three cocktails made with those beers.
- Upland and Erie Tap Takeover: Marty’s Hops and Vines brings in representatives from the two breweries to showcase their staple beers as well as some rare treats, not to mention some giveaways!
- Cultivating Hops in Ohio : Pay attention homebrewers and gardening enthusiasts as Ohio State researcher Brad Bergerfurd comes to town to talk about growing hops in Ohio both small-scale and commercially.
- Cincinnati Nature Center’s Maple on Tap: Come out to try Mt. Carmel’s first dopplebock made with maple syrup harvested from local trees. There will also be other great Mt. Carmel beers available to try.
Sunday, Feb 9
Consider giving your liver a rest… or go hair of the dog!
- Brunch with Triple Digit : Hyde Park Cock and Bull will have a special Irish Cream infused Chickow! from Triple Digit to get your Sunday started right!
- Brew Tour Sunday at Fifty West: Tour the brewery, try the Brewmaster’s Choice flight, and take home a pint of your choice!
- Dauntless Imports: Talk, Taste Repeat : The Party Source/Ei8ht Ball often features some of the rarest beers in the world thanks to their friends at Dauntless Imports. Get taster prices for full pours of some of the worlds best beers and chat with Michael Minton of Dauntless.
Monday, Feb 10
- Goose Island Tap Takeover : Holler Hops and grill welcomes in Goose Island as their pour their fantastic belgians, not to mention some Bourbon County!
- Cinnamon Roll Chickow! Tapping : Arthur’s in Hyde Park, the original home of local craft beer, will be tapping a special keg of the rare Cinnamon Roll Chickow!
Tuesday, Feb 11
- Rhinegeist Randall : Wild Mike’s Wings (Shady Lane) breaks out the randall as the crew from Rhinegeist pours their Ink Russian imperial stout through coffee beans and cocoa nibs! Zen will also be pouring that night!
- Cincinnati Craft Brewer’s Festival Mug Club Night : Dust off any of your mugs from Starkbierfest, Volksfest or the Cincinnati Craft
- New Brewery 101 and Sensory Analysis : Arnold’s welcomes in the owners of Rivertown and Blank Slate to talk about starting your own brewery and a sensory analysis of all of their beers.
- Three Floyds Tapping: Zombie Dust! Permanent Funeral! Alpha King! Robert the Bruce! Cock and Bull Mainstrasse!
- MadTree and Rhinegeist Tap Takeover : Zip’s Cafe brings in two of the city’s most popular breweries to command their taps for the night. They will be pouring Gnarly Brown, Lift, Galaxy High, Cougar, Fiction, Zen, and Ink.
- Beginner Home Brewing Class : The Bloatarian Brewing League (homebrew club) and Listermann teach you the key steps to brewing, fermenting, and bottling your first beer! Fooled around once or twice before with brewing? This class can help you, too!
- Country Boy Backroom Brawl : Party Town’s welcomes Lexington’s Country Boy Brewing as they bring in some flagship beers alongside some very rare releases at this all draft event.
- FatHeads and Fifty West Brew and Tap Takeover : Fifty West and FatHead’s have collaborated on a new beer that will be poured along with beers from both breweries.
- Rare Cask Tapping: Rivertown Bourbon Barrel Series: Catch a taste of their casked Imperial amber ale aged in Heaven Hills Bourbon barrels with Molasses, Woodruff, and Heather Tips.
Wednesday, Feb 12
Thursday, Feb 13
Cincinnati Beer Week formally wraps up, but don’t miss out on these last few opportunities!
Cincy Winter Beerfest
While not officially part of Cincinnati Beer Week this event always serves as the unofficial, ceremonial closing of Beer Week. Make sure you buy your tickets now for Friday and/or Satuday night! 350+ beers all under one roof!
For more on the latest local craft beer news, rumors and events, go to: brewprof.com
If the hot summer heat has you reaching for a cold one, give these local seasonal beers a try.
A Kentucky brewery plans to boost production by more than 400 percent with a new facility in Louisville.
Summer time is a perfect time to hit the road for a quick road trip to the country and perhaps to some of the great breweries that Ohio has…
When thousands of music fans head to Over-the-Rhine’s Washington Park for the LumenoCity performance, they’ll be able to beat the…
After seven years and continually increasing attendance, Cincinnati’s Brew Ha-Ha event is set to expand itself.
A convenience store association isn't giving up its court fight against Indiana's law that prohibits those businesses from selling…
If summertime is making you nostalgic for camp and you love craft beer, Sierra Nevada has an event just for you.
A well-known brewer is moving into Ohio and it’s taking some of the competition back home with it.
Do you ever find yourself wishing that growler from your local brewery lasted a little longer? Rhinegeist may have the answer.
A new brewery will soon be rising up on Cincinnati’s West Side.