GEORGETOWN, Ky. - As members of the Cincinnati Bengals began to show at training camp Friday, three familiar faces were not at Georgetown College.
Carson Palmer, Chad Ochocinco and Johnathan Joseph, fixtures on the Bengals roster for the past several seasons, are gone.
Ochocinco was traded to the New England Patriots on Thursday, later that night Joseph signed with the Houston Texans and Palmer is playing golf in California, retired from the league.
The Bengals placed Palmer on the reserve/did not report list. This was expected, especially after Tuesday's press conference where owner Mike Brown said Palmer was "retired" and he wished him well.
One move that many people maybe did not expect was the release of defensive end Antwan Odom. After a fast start in 2009, Odom ruptured his Achilles tendon and battled injuries. The emergence of Carlos Dunlap made Odom expendable.
There were reports that the team released cornerback Morgan Trent, but the team released a statement later in the day indicating Trent was not released and is still on the roster. Probably a good thing not to release cornerbacks with experience since the team lost out on keeping Joseph in Cincinnati.
The organization also made the following roster moves before practice officially begins on Saturday:
* Waived OT Andrew Mitchell in the Waived/Non-Football Injury category.
* Signed two draft choices, G Clint Boling of Georgia (fourth round) and HB Jay Finley of Baylor (seventh round).
* Signed one college free agent, C-G Ryan McKnight of South Dakota State.
* Placed CB Adam Jones and DT Pat Sims on the Active/Physically Unable to Perform list. Active/PUP designates players who are unable to practice as camp begins, due to injury, who may be activated as soon as they are medically cleared.
* Placed LB Keith Rivers on the Active/Non-Football Injury list (wrist surgery). Active/NFI designates players who are unable to practice as camp begins, due to injury, who may be activated as soon as they are medically cleared.
For a schedule of training camp go to the Bengals training camp website.
Copyright 2011 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.