FLORENCE, Ky. - Emergency crews evacuated a Florence, Ky., plant after an ammonia leak Thursday morning.
Officials say there was an ammonia leak at Schwan’s Pizza Factory , 7605 Empire Drive around 6 a.m. The building was shut down and more than 100 employees were evacuated after several complained they were feeling ill.
Exposure to ammonia can cause eyes to burn and can be deadly if too much is inhaled.
Officials say the gas leak came from a refrigeration unit inside one of the buildings.
No one has been injured or transported to an area hospital at this time. Medics were on the scene working to treat those who are not feeling well.
"We got everybody out of the building. We didn't know what the extent of [the ammonia leak] was. We wanted to get our arms around it. As it's turning out, it's a smaller leak. We did have it contained and we were able to get it under control very quickly," said Randy Ingolia, the Director of Manufacturing for the Schwan's Plant.
Emergency crews set up large fans inside the plant to blow out all of the ammonia gas.
The Schwan plant in Florence produces rising-crust and pizzeria-style pizzas under their Red Baron and Freschetta pizza lines, according to the company’s website.
Stay with 9 News and WCPO.com for updates as they become available.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A veteran from Fort Thomas was one of at least 15 people killed in a suicide car bombing in the Afghan capital of Kabul Thursday.