COVINGTON, Ky. - Club Chef, a food plant in Covington, evacuated 160 employees for several hours Sunday after an ammonia leak.
Hazmat responded to the plant located at 3776 Lake Park Drive and checked out the leak which happened around 11:30 a.m.
Club Chef Spokesperson Libby Korosec said produce processor and distributor is normally refrigerated inside, but the leaked caused warmer temperatures. She said they will try to save what products they can and move them into a refrigerated truck.
"We have a full crisis team and practice on a regular basis for scenarios like this," she said. "And so all of those practices I guess went well, because everyone got out safely and with no injuries."
Hazmat cleared the scene and allowed workers back inside at about 10:30 p.m. Sunday.
The plant has been in business since 2005. Korosec said this is the first time an incident like this has ever happened.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Don Pablo’s Mexican Restaurant in Newport was shut down Monday after a building inspection led to concern for the safety of customers and employees.