CINCINNATI - With an estimated 19,000 runners expected to wage a war on breast cancer by participating in the 15th Annual Komen Greater Cincinnati Race for the Cure, the proceeds this year should exceed $600,000.
Amy Weber, Greater Cincinnati Susan G. Komen Community Health Projects Coordinator, says this year's race is expected to raise between $600,000 and $700,000.
Up to 75 percent of net proceeds from Komen Race for the Cure will remain in the Cincinnati community to fund breast health community outreach programs. The remainder of the proceeds, a minimum of 25 percent, will support the national Susan G. Komen for the Cure Award and Research Grant Program, which funds groundbreaking breast cancer research.
Breast cancer survivors and fighters showed up in droves wearing pink and ready to run. This year marks the first time Komen Greater Cincinnati will hold a 10K race. Downtown Cincinnati's Great American Ball Park is hosting the race. The 10K race starts on East Freedom Way at 8:05 a.m. A 5K Run/Walk and 2K Family Run/Walk will follow at 9:00 a.m and 9:30 a.m.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.