CINCINNATI - A University of Cincinnati student is in the hospital Wednesday morning after a toxic chemical explosion on campus overnight.
Police say a female student was working with a toxic chemical alone at the engineering building located at 2901 Woodside Place around 1 a.m. when a reaction caused an explosion. The student was working on a process known as aluminum etching when the reaction caused an explosion and sprayed very dangerous chemicals all over the lab and on the student.
Officials say the student wore protective gear at the time of the explosion, but the gear was still covered in the chemical. When she tried to take the protective wear off, some of chemical got on her arms and caused them to burn.
Emergency crews transported the student to the hospital where she was treated, but is being kept for observation because the chemical is slow reacting.
UC police cleaned up the chemical and reopened the scene around 6 a.m.
Officials have not released any additional details at this time.
Stay with 9 News and WCPO.com for updates as they become available.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Top Central Stories
Three people were shot at the intersection of Elm and West Liberty streets in Over-the-Rhine Thursday afternoon, according to officials.