NEW RICHMOND, Ohio - An Ohio family wants answers after their child was attacked by a well-known New Richmond peacock.
The family said "Jake the Peacock" bit the toddler's face as she was feeding ducks Thursday, causing 22-month-old Kylie Holland to be taken to Children's Hospital to get seven stitches.
Her family said the peacock is vicious, and it should be removed from the area.
"You come down here to New Richmond, and there is one peacock that can cause an almost 2-year-old kid to have seven stitches in her face--that just shows you how aggressive the peacock is," said Brandon Holland, the victim's father. "They need to do something with it."
The Holland family said Clermont County health officials hope to quarantine the peacock for several days to make sure it isn't rabid.
New Richmond Police Chief Randy Harvey said the bird is not a law enforcement issue. Harvey said police are aware of the attack, and that as far as he knows, this is the first time the bird has hurt someone. Harvey said the peacock is a wild bird that is not owned by anyone.
Some New Richmond residents say "Jacob" should be left alone.
"We saw 'Jake' fly off," said Kathy Coulson, works at a bank across from where the incident happened. "I guess he knocked her [in the head], I didn't see him actually hit her. I saw her fall."
9 News left a message for Clermont County Animal Control to find out if the department could do anything with the animal, but the call was not returned.
The mayor said the city could not do anything about the bird, because it is a wild animal and that the peacock is no different than a squirrel, goose or any other wildlife. However, she did note that several area farmers had called and were willing to pick the colorful animal up. She said she could not legally authorize that action.
The mayor did want to make is clear that her thoughts were with the little girl and the family, and hopes that she recovers soon.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
News From Indiana
A candle may be to blame for an Aurora house fire that injured a man.