MANCHESTER, Ohio - The parents of an 18-month-old child who died while sleeping in an overheated room last month were indicted in an Adams County courtroom Friday.
Jesika Case, 26, and Jeremy Cox, 26, were both indicted on charges of endangering children, involuntary manslaughter and reckless homicide by a grand jury.
On Wednesday Dec. 12, police responded to the 500 block of East Fifth Street in Manchester, Ohio for a report of an unresponsive child.
Authorities said Case used a space heater in a room for her daughter, Jailynn Cox, on the night of Dec. 11, and the following morning, the room was more than 100 degrees.
When Case checked on her daughter at approximately noon on Dec. 12, she was unresponsive. A neighbor called 911 and a mail carrier tried to resuscitate the girl until medics arrived, according to police.
"Temperatures in the room were anywhere from 90 to 130 degrees in certain spots," said Chief Jeff Bowling of the Manchester Police Department after the incident.
The arraignment date for Case and Cox has not been scheduled at this time.
Stay with 9 On Your Side and WCPO.com for updates.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.