CINCINNATI - Your home should be your safe haven but sometimes your home is a harbor for toxins that could affect you and your family’s health.
A common culprit in many homes is mold.
If you have less than 10 square feet of mold damage, you could tackle removing that yourself, but in many cases people need to call in a professional.
“The majority of the time they should seek some help because once you disturb the mold then the spores tend to spread,” said Mike Honan, a contractor.
Radon is another possible toxin that could be present in your home, but you can test for that too. It’s colorless and odorless.
“The best method to collect a sample is a short-term test,” said Betsie Trammel, a Laboratory Manager. “It’s the quickest, cheapest and most reliable way and that is just going to give you a snap shot of the radon in your home. It’s going to give you a base line for whether your level was low or high.”
The third hidden toxin is asbestos. Exposure can cause different forms of cancer.
“If your house is built before 1980, your home might be at risk and the only way to discover whether you have it is to have your home tested,” said Angie Hicks of Angie’s List.
If you are concerned your home has one of these toxins, the first step is to actually have your home tested.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
A Boston hospital is starting the world's first hand transplant program for children, and doctors say it won't be long until face transplants and other radical operations to improve appearance and quality of life are offered to kids, too.